Thursday 24 March 2011

The sheer cheek of it.

When I came home from work to find a personalised letter from Haringey Council Leader Claire Kober I assumed it was just another vacuous piece of feel-good PR from the council along the lines of the cringe'worthy 'Haringey People' magazine that is regularly sent to all residents of the borough. 

However closer reading showed it to be from the councillor in her Labour Party capacity. Asking around a few other local people none of them had received it - so I can only think that my name must be on some database as a former Labour Party member. It's safe to say that they must be getting pretty bloody desperate - I think I left the Labour Party as recently as 1991 or 1992. I can't be sure because embarrassingly I didn't have the badge of honour of actually being expelled. I just didn't renew my subs, and even  that was  after a year or two of simply  ignoring the local party as the irrelevant and moribund organisation it had become over the poll tax period.

Essentially the letter  explained how horrible the ConDems were  and how the cuts they were making would devastate Haringey - along with an explanation of how in spite of this the local Labour Party  were heroically doing their best to mitigate the damage. 

So as well as giving me her reassurance that they will save what they can (apart obviously from all the stuff they voted a couple of weeks ago to cut), I am invited to join Councillor Klober in her 'campaigning against these savage cuts'. And most extraordinarily to join her in marching for an alternative on 26th March...!!!

No comments: