Monday 9 August 2010

A sober pause

I'm not big on the rituals of baptisms, weddings and funerals. But on Sunday I attended such an event that stirred some genuine emotion for once:

Some people are so ever-present that they become part of the scenery and  Jamie (Panster) was one of these.

I wouldn't presume to say that I knew him, but he was a familiar face on the local bike scene from before I got into Harleys - at the tea hut, on toy runs, and just generally out and about on his beautiful old machines. And later, once I'd got my first Sportster, we would take a few minutes to chat whenever we bumped into each other - and he patiently helped me out with some sage technical advice.

Inevitably perhaps you take it for  granted that such people will always be around  - so I was more shocked than I could have imagined to hear that Jamie had been killed in an accident on his way to a rally last weekend.

He had requested that his ashes be scattered at the tea hut at High Beech - and this was what happened on Sunday. I can't think of a better resting place - now he will truly be a part of the scenery he loved. 

In all honesty I don't believe in an after-life, and I have no idea what 'RIP' means. But he certainly deserved a few respectful moments to mark his life - and  my thoughts are with all those who knew Panster better than I did.

No comments: